We all know I’m a big fan of homemade ice cream, but this summer I’ve also been experimenting with a healthier frosty treat- frozen yogurt. Organic Valley’s new Grassmilk Yogurt is the perfect base for frozen yogurt. With only a few minutes of hands-on time you can make creamy, flavorful frozen yogurt popsicles with nearly endless flavor options. They are easy to make and the process is simple enough that kids can help with the preparation and layering. These popsicles would be a perfect after-school snack; they taste like an indulgent treat, but they’re full of nutrients and a healthy balance of omega-3 to omaga-6 fatty acids (so you don’t have to feel guilty going back for seconds!)
For this batch of popsicles I went with the classic Neapolitan flavor combination; a layer of rich chocolate followed by creamy vanilla and topped by a layer with fresh strawberries. I used the Vanilla Grassmilk Yogurt for a slightly sweeter finished product. If you want an unsweetened version the Plain Grassmilk Yogurt will work well too, just add a splash of vanilla to the yogurt in the middle layer.
Small, disposable paper or plastic cups can work as a substitute for popsicle molds if you don’t have a mold on hand. Follow the process listed below then cut away the cup when you’re ready to enjoy the popsicle.
- 1 cup Organic Valley Grassmilk Vanilla Yogurt, divided
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp. Organic Valley milk, divided
- 4-5 fresh strawberries, with stems removed
- Divide the Vanilla Grassmilk Yogurt equally between 3 different bowls which will be the chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry layers
- For the chocolate layer add 1 1/2 tbsp. milk and the cocoa to one bowl and stir until smooth. For the vanilla layer add the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. milk and stir until smooth. For the strawberry layer, use a blender or immersion blender to blend the yogurt and strawberries until smooth. Taste each layer and add sugar if necessary.
- To make the popsicles, divide the chocolate mixture evenly between the molds so it fills the mold approximately a third of the way. Freeze for about 10-15 minutes. Carefully spoon the vanilla layer over the chocolate layer, freeze for another 10-15 minutes. Repeat the process with the strawberry layer. Insert a popsicle stick into the center of each popsicle and freeze until set, at least 3 hours.
Servings: About 4 popsicles, depending on the size of your mold